AFTermath
Saturday, August 18
Jonlow: So, how's life?
Me: Err... you mean in NS or outside NS? Or both?
Jonlow: WAH SOMEONE GOT LIFE OUTSIDE ARMY LAH!
9 August 2012, at The Cathay
I was there for 2 months. It didn't feel anywhere close to it, but the dates don't lie --- 19 June to 15 August. To put things in perspective, that's a week longer than the time I spent as an officer cadet, and just over a week shorter than the time I spent as a recruit. That's seriously pretty long, considering that it now makes up about a third of my army life to date! I guess looking at this alone, I can safely say I'm not one amongst those they'd call 'Every Singaporean Son'. I am, after all, a Malaysian ;) It is now that I finally realise why people kept asking me where I was going to go next for NS... I was stuck there for so long!
Heh, I think people need no telling what I did there; it's pretty much a well-known fact by now. And you probably would've thought that, with so much free time on hand, I would've accomplished much. But unfortunately, that wasn't the case. In fact, I came precariously close to letting my time there become one of those pockets of time so distantly removed from this realm of existence; where life was left on pause as I went dancing through life, mindless and careless --- and life would go on just the same once it resumed. But I came into NS with every intent not to let that ever happen, so I knew I had to make some changes.
Great freedom necessitates great responsibility (heh, does this even make sense? #actingcheem). Well, that is, at least, if one desires to achieve something. And over time I grew to become more targeted, and took greater ownership of my time.
I'm really glad for this experience, as it really gave me a fuller understanding of what I'd do if I were left to my own devices and setting my own goals --- become a sloth of sorts. I guess I'll get a taste of it in again in the months between ORD and uni, and hopefully I don't awaken the sloth within! I guess it won't be too hard, since it enjoys sleeping too ;) Like seriously, thank God for these training grounds --- those I've just had and will have --- in managing my own time, otherwise who knows how I'd be messing up my life when living independently during uni!
I guess I would've liked to stay there for slightly longer; I was just getting into the groove of being completely productive with my own goals when I was suddenly plucked out of having that freedom! But ah well, God has His perfect timing, I'm sure (: Now comes yet again a new challenge in my NS journey, and who knows how long this one will last. Whatever the case, I'm counting on God (:
(Sorry for the huge delay in the post. I had a terrible case of blogger's block :P)
-------------------------
(Update on 12 Sep '12)
It truly, truly was God's hand that moved me from AFT to TLS, which happened at what I now realise to be such perfect timing. Ever since I left, they've been getting bombarded with duties like enemy, sentry, and all sorts of stay-in or outfield stuff. What's more, with the thousands of duties and only an average number of people, all of them have been serving out these duties repeatedly. Whereas I, doing actual office work in my branch, have been spared from any such sort of nonsense, and continue booking out every day (:
Thank You God, for Your plan is ever perfect (:
AMEN;
10:48 pm